The Scottish Borders Chamber of Commerce’s prestigious BUSINESS EXCELLENCE AWARDS, sponsored by The Royal Bank of Scotland.
In recognition of the outstanding business performance within the Scottish Borders, these awards are a fantastic way to raise awareness of the business community of the region as a whole, and the individual businesses who make success an everyday goal.
- TOURISM & HOSPITALITY BUSINESS OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by Bruce Stevenson Insurance Brokers Open to all tourism and hospitality (including food/beverage establishments) businesses operating within the Scottish Borders. The judges will be looking for the business who has shown dedication to the promotion of the Borders as a tourism destination, commitment to an exceptional visitor experience, business development and collaboration as well as encouraging and nurturing the young workforce.
- AGRICULTURAL BUSINESS OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by NFU Mutual Borders The criteria for the Agriculture award this year are designed for a multi-generational operation which is looking to future proof their business. This may be through diversification/ innovation, developing new ideas and efficiencies but they should be looking to protect and take forward their family business through these uncertain times. They should be able to demonstrate a shared vision for the business across the generations and outline a strategy which will result in increased profitability with an associated funding plan.
- HIGH GROWTH/TURNOVER AWARD. Sponsored by Douglas Home & Co Open to all businesses in the Scottish Borders irrespective of size or sector, this award will be presented to the business which, in the view of the judging panel, can best demonstrate successful business performance over the past 12 months. “Performance” will be judged by financial growth, profit growth, product range and return on recent financial investments in the business
- INNOVATION IN BUSINESS AWARD. Sponsored by Scottish Borders Council Open to all businesses in the Scottish Borders irrespective of size or sector, this award will be presented to the business which, in the view of the judging panel, can best demonstrate successful use of innovation in business over the past 12 months. Judges will be looking for businesses from any sectors who can lay claim to being innovative and successful in their activities. Forward planning will also be taken into account as aspiration is a key motivator to innovation.
- SOCIAL ENTERPRISE OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by Scottish Borders Social Enterprise Chamber The “3rd sector” is fast becoming a major factor in the supply of regional services and this award is being given to a social enterprise body that has demonstrated a commitment to the sector in which they operate. Eligible organisations would include voluntary charities/Trusts, Community Trusts etc. The judges will be looking for evidence of stakeholder engagement and social impact in addition to innovation in developing funding sources.
- SUPPORTING YOUNG WORKFORCE AWARD. Sponsored by Developing the Young Workforce Borders Open to all businesses in the Scottish Borders irrespective of size or sector, this award will be presented to the business which, in the view of the judging panel, can best demonstrate it delivers on the likes of the following: diversity in age profile of workforce, equality for workforce, comprehensive learning and development programme (including a modern apprentice programme) and a mentoring programme, career development planning and succession planning.
- MANUFACTURER OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by Reiver Recruitment With manufacturing being of great importance to the Scottish Borders economy, this award is given to the manufacturing business which, in the opinion of the judges, has increased turnover and market share from the sale of goods. Sustainability can only be achieved through good market research and product development and the judging panel will be interested in these areas of the business activity and plans for growth in existing or new markets.
- COMMUNITY IMPACT AWARD. Sponsored by Live Borders The award will be made to the organisation that can best demonstrate community impact and engagement in sport, culture or health promotion leading to improvements in lifestyle and wellbeing. Organisations will need to demonstrate to the judging panel the level of investment made in any such programme, the levels of participation and measures showing how successful the programme(s) have been.
- MICRO BUSINESS OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by NS 24 Ltd The judges recognise that micro businesses can have many strengths but are unlikely to fully encompass all the facets of larger entities. Applicants should demonstrate their particular focus and what makes them special, maybe in respect of innovation, customer service, growth or staff – just as a few suggestions.
- SME OF THE YEAR AWARD. Sponsored by Business Gateway Borders Open to all businesses based in the Scottish Borders which have eleven to 249 employees and can show a strong financial performance. This award will be made to the SME that has introduced an innovation, idea or design which has made a significant contribution to the business within the last 12 months. The judges will be interested in innovation that has improved an existing product, or an initiative that has led to the development of new products or services. The judging panel will also be interested in how the innovation is embraced within the culture of the business.
Click here to submit your entry today.
- Online submission entry open – Monday 3rd June 2019
- Online submission deadline – Friday 16th August 2019
- Judges’ Interviews 2nd – 12th September 2019
- Awards Ceremony – Thursday 7th November 2019